SWAT Kats opening theme in Warframe

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

SWAT Kats opening theme in Warframe

Post by Cait » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:00 am

MoDaD wrote:And, here's a demo of Cait's mods:

I just resume this little project now that I got new instruments in the game... The easy part is done, now I just need to make a few adjustements and add one or two instruments more (that's the hard part as the game only allows 3 at the same time). Anyway, enjoy the preview!

The final sounds too bad for me, but it's the best I could do with just 5 melody notes...
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Re: SWAT Kats opening theme in Warframe

Post by Cait » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 am

On a side note: anyone knows of a good free program to make music? I want to give a try to a REAL virtual synthesizer XD
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:49 am

Cait wrote:On a side note: anyone knows of a good free program to make music? I want to give a try to a REAL virtual synthesizer XD
Mr. Goodkat is probably our local expert on that, though I bet Mikazo and Jayhan probably have experience with this, too, so maybe they have some recommendations. I know almost nothing about virtual synthesizers, other than a lot of artists seem to use Dubpads for mixing.

This is the best example of a Dubpad I could find Madkatlaughing
1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:17 am

MoDaD wrote:Image

This is the best example of a Dubpad I could find Madkatlaughing
TboneLaughCait That one was (and still is) an awesome music maker! RazSilly

Anyway, the thing is that I don't think I can improve the song with what warframe has (at least not the melody/main tune). 5 notes is just not enough, and it's worse as the higher note is just too high compared with the previous one, it's really feels like something is missed there (and obviously there is). I'm still gonna try and end it, but I want to try too what can I do with a synthesizer TboneWhistling
1 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 pm

MoDaD wrote: Mr. Goodkat is probably our local expert on that, though I bet Mikazo and Jayhan probably have experience with this, too, so maybe they have some recommendations.
Sadly I know nothing about this. The last program I used to make *music* music was Cakewalk, and that was ages ago. I recall for me this was an exceedingly slow process, as I programmed each note by hand instead of plugging in an instrument and recording from that.

I really need to develop more skills in this area and become more familiar with composing and recording (not to mention making videos with more than one camera angle). :oops:
2 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:37 pm

MoDaD wrote:
Cait wrote:On a side note: anyone knows of a good free program to make music? I want to give a try to a REAL virtual synthesizer XD
Mr. Goodkat is probably our local expert on that, though I bet Mikazo and Jayhan probably have experience with this, too, so maybe they have some recommendations.
Thanks for the credit, MoDaD, although I wouldn't call myself an expert in that field. ;)
Still, I actually have a recommendation which you might want to give a try, Cait.

OpenMPT

This is an open source tracker software which is updated and extended regularly. You don't need any additional hardware for this as you're kind of programming your songs (which is probably very similar to what Mikazo talked about in his post earlier). I didn't try to compose a track myself (I'm currently just using OpenMPT to convert some tracks which I'm using for my current project from one format into another), but it's seems to be quite powerful. As Mikazo already mentioned this is a laborious process (at least when you're not used to it), but in return you get a lot of control on your track as you can manipulate every tiny fraction in all kinds of ways. The quality also depends pretty much on the sound samples you're using, of course. I don't know where to find good ones which are free to use, but I'm sure there a lot of them to find if you dig deeper into that topic.

I think this Wikipedia articles might be a good starting point if you want to know more about the topic in general:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_tracker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_file

Here are also some example videos on YouTube (which is also a place to find tutorials on that topic):

And last but not least here is a module player that runs directly in the browser which has a big library of modules you might like to study:
https://mod.haxor.fi

Although it's probably not so easy (or natural?) to create music that way it's the best way I can think of on a computer when not using any real instruments or hardware controllers.

I don't know if this is surprising, but there are professional musicians who are actually using this approach to create (parts of) their songs.

Hope this post helps.
2 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:05 pm

This helps a lot! Thanks you again Mr. Goodkat!
0 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Audacity, or if you're on Windows maybe you could try Wavosaur? Both can use VSTi plugins.

Probably not the best solution. But it's the only one I can think of.
0 x