Restoring the old MKC Blacknet Fanfic Archive

Tell us about yourself and how SWAT Kats is special to you!
anonusr
Just Moved In
United States of America

Restoring the old MKC Blacknet Fanfic Archive

Post by anonusr » Sat May 14, 2022 5:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here, but I wanted to share a small project I wrote: https://github.com/an0nusr/restoremkc

MKC Blacknet was an old Swat Kats fanfic site that shutdown over a decade ago. Unfortunately, while Wayback machine captured a few snapshots of the site, they aren't easily browsable. That's where this tool comes in.

It downloads snapshots of the site from archive.org, rebuilds them, and patches all the HTML so you can browse all the old MKC Blacknet archives in their full glory (with images and background and everything).

I hope this helps someone who might be interested in some of the older fic, and some archivists that might want to save stuff that was previously inaccessible.
1 x

Cody Furlong
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: Restoring the old MKC Blacknet Fanfic Archive

Post by Cody Furlong » Sat May 14, 2022 8:54 pm

As a note, I would like to add a big old WARNING to the above post. The fiction on the Black net tends to be very dark, and or adult in nature. So please be advised.
2 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: Restoring the old MKC Blacknet Fanfic Archive

Post by MoDaD » Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm

anonusr wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I wanted to share a small project I wrote: https://github.com/an0nusr/restoremkc

MKC Blacknet was an old Swat Kats fanfic site that shutdown over a decade ago. Unfortunately, while Wayback machine captured a few snapshots of the site, they aren't easily browsable. That's where this tool comes in.

It downloads snapshots of the site from archive.org, rebuilds them, and patches all the HTML so you can browse all the old MKC Blacknet archives in their full glory (with images and background and everything).

I hope this helps someone who might be interested in some of the older fic, and some archivists that might want to save stuff that was previously inaccessible.
This is technically a violation of this forum's rules concerning:
Links to content that contain any of these items

However, there is a certain historical relevance to this project that a good faith exception can be made for, seeing as how it encompasses the writings of both SFW and NSFW works, and despite the subject matter, I don't like fandom stuff to disappear if it can be preserved, especially as it involves so many authors. We already communicated on twitter, but I went ahead and localized and hosted this here:

https://blacknet.swatkats.info/

Reader discretion advised. The rules for not posting NSFW content on this forum are still applicable.
1 x