Aight, I suppose I should do one of these.

Tell us about yourself and how SWAT Kats is special to you!
QueenSimia
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Aight, I suppose I should do one of these.

Post by QueenSimia » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Heyo everyone, long time SK fan, first time caller. I think most of the legacy members of the fandom know me under my real name, Sarah Combs, but for the last... 14 years, maybe?... I've gone by QueenSimia online.

First started watching SWAT Kats back in 1994, when as an avid 13-going-on-14-year-old comic fan I was awaiting the debut of Jim Lee's WildC.A.T.S. cartoon. Dad was flipping channels, found an episode of SWAT Kats in progress, and asked if this was the cartoon I was waiting for. Knew it wasn't, but was intrigued and stuck around for later episodes. I later went on to draw fan art and use a wealthier friend's scanner to post it online (since at the time the only computer my family owned was still a DOS machine with a dot-matrix printer), and spent my school lunches and free periods in the library sending DJ Clawson fanfics bits at a time via pre-Microsoft Hotmail. I wanted badly to participate in Strike's SKRPG, but didn't have the technological means at the time to do so, so I eagerly followed along the transcripts posted after each session.

Years later, I went to college, and while I still occasionally circled back to the Kats, I drifted away from the fandom. Many more years later, after ditching DeviantArt and then Tumblr over philosophical differences (and rampant aphobia/acephobia in Tumblr's case), I settled in a quiet corner of Twitter. A favorite character meme reminded me of my first fandom and the weird, wonderful show behind it, and I decided to see if the fandom was still around. And now we're up to the present day.

TL;DR: Sup, I'm old, how're you kids doing these days?
6 x
|||| friendly neighborhood aero ace ||||

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Re: Aight, I suppose I should do one of these.

Post by Felony » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Yay welcome to the forums! I like the term “legacy”. Makes me sound regal whot whot and not old. XD You happen to still have the artwork you drew up for the Succubus episode? I remember at one point you were considering making a comic of it.

Alsoooo older awesome SK works of QueenSimia’s can be found at the SKFAA: http://fyresight.com/skfaaart/combs-sarah/
4 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:59 pm

Welcome!!! RazorHappyCait

That's some nice art, do you still draw?
0 x

QueenSimia
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by QueenSimia » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:16 pm

Felony wrote:Yay welcome to the forums! I like the term “legacy”. Makes me sound regal whot whot and not old. XD You happen to still have the artwork you drew up for the Succubus episode? I remember at one point you were considering making a comic of it.
After a quick check, looks like I still have the two possible designs for Kataluna (one she-kat version, one more catlike) and the five pages I drew. Massive Y7-unfriendly boobage and perspective mangling ahead:

"She-kat" Kataluna

More catlike Kataluna (the sexual dimorphism of the show designs always bugged me)

More design exploration of Kataluna and her accoutrements herself
Doomed_SK_comic__p_1_by_QueenSimia.jpg
Page 1
Doomed_SK_comic__p_2_by_QueenSimia.jpg
Page 2
Doomed_SK_comic__p_3_by_QueenSimia.jpg
Page 3 (and a super anime Felina)
Doomed_SK_comic__p_4_by_QueenSimia.jpg
Page 4
Doomed_SK_comic__p_5_by_QueenSimia.jpg
Page 5, the last one before I gave up. Kataluna knows to follow the chin energy, even if the artist foolishly tried to diminish it.

I only had Mark Lungo's Animato synopsis to go on at the time when I wrote the script (which I think has been lost to the sands of time, thanks to apartment thieves ages ago), so it only vaguely followed what I'd later learn was the original story. The big fossil behind Dr. Sinian was supposed to be Kataluna's true body in a sort of The Picture of Dorian Gray or lich/phylactery-type deal, and there were Byzantine icon-like images along the edges that depicted all her former victims—Feral's image would have appeared as he was dying, which would have led to Dr. Sinian piecing together what was actually happening at the story's climax.

I kinda wish I had the actual script when I was drawing it! I probably still would've changed some things (like not having Kataluna get off while draining Feral... I know she's a succubus and all, and while I've drawn adult comics before, sometimes you just really don't want to cross the streams), but I think I would've felt a little more confident with the story knowing I wasn't diverging too far from the source.

edit: Doesn't seem to like imgur links all that much, so I put the pages as inline attachments and linked to imgur below each image instead.

edit edit: hey it helps if I directly link to the image itself and not imgur's viewer thing, doesn't it
10 x

QueenSimia
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by QueenSimia » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Cait wrote:Welcome!!! RazorHappyCait

That's some nice art, do you still draw?
Thanks! Not nearly as much as I used to—in fact, I'm still getting over a couple-years-long slump brought on by job searches—but I do every so often. I have original works in progress, but more recently have let myself get back to fan art doodles. :D
2 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Poecat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Oh my! Your art is gorgeous! RazorLoveCait
1 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:48 pm

That's some great artwork! Thanks for sharing.
0 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:50 pm

Yeah, it's awesome!
1 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Felony » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Wonderful! I’m so glad you still had those. ^_^ It’s great to see the work you did. And love the idea of the portraits of past victims. The SKFAA is still running if you ever want to submit these and other SK stuff. Thank you for sharing these again!
2 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony

Katney
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Katney » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:34 pm

::waving hand from the back of the pack:: Oo-oo-oo, I remember those! I actually saved those Kataluna comics and model sheets when they were newly posted. Yay, I'm a Legacy too. ^^ You had up to 10 pages of that comic though. I dug up those pictures within the last couple of months, but I won't share unless you'd like them.
2 x