Geocities!

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Geocities!

Post by Rusakov » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm

This is going to be a two-in-one topic.

Some of the older members here might remember Geocities, the place to host your website back in the 1990s. Granted, the sites consisted of 1.x HTML documents (which were static, unless you wanted to add more content via editing it by hand), and (if you were particularly tech savvy) some cute JavaScript tricks and crude CSS. Regardless, the various sites were no doubt a source of nostalgia for those of you who started surfing the web in the mid/late 1990s.

Geocities pulled the plug some years ago, but many of the sites were archived thanks to denizens of the web. I don't have the file, it's very large. But there is a Tumblr site with screenshots: One Terabyte of Kilobyte Age.

Remember 1997, when Space Jam was a thing?

And for those of you who really want to experience that era, use this, makes a modern website look like pure 90's cheese! crazymadkat
3 x

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Re: Geocities!

Post by Dr. Ascara » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Rusakov wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm
This is going to be a two-in-one topic.

Some of the older members here might remember Geocities, the place to host your website back in the 1990s. Granted, the sites consisted of 1.x HTML documents (which were static, unless you wanted to add more content via editing it by hand), and (if you were particularly tech savvy) some cute JavaScript tricks and crude CSS. Regardless, the various sites were no doubt a source of nostalgia for those of you who started surfing the web in the mid/late 1990s.

Geocities pulled the plug some years ago, but many of the sites were archived thanks to denizens of the web. I don't have the file, it's very large. But there is a Tumblr site with screenshots: One Terabyte of Kilobyte Age.

And for those of you who really want to experience that era, use this, makes a modern website look like pure 90's cheese! crazymadkat
I didn't catch that era. However, I highly recommend http://web.archive.org/, where barely all the sites of the world, even those which went to oblivion, are stored.
2 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:28 pm

Dr. Ascara wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:24 pm
I didn't catch that era. However, I highly recommend http://web.archive.org/, where barely all the sites of the world, even those which went to oblivion, are stored.
I've gone there many times. Not all of what I look for gets archived, but that's to be expected.

And I didn't really catch that era either. My family didn't get a home PC until 1998, and I didn't know about Geocities until much later.
2 x

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Post by Dr. Ascara » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Rusakov wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:28 pm
Dr. Ascara wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:24 pm
I've gone there many times. Not all of what I look for gets archived, but that's to be expected.

And I didn't really catch that era either. My family didn't get a home PC until 1998, and I didn't know about Geocities until much later.
That the best thing I've found so far. It helped me to restore my posts from an old tlog. Regretfully such format is not too popular nowadays and the main audience is swallowed by Twitter or Tumblr. Offtop
I've had my first PC in 2005 when I was five and the internet only in 2009. So my memories are more or less connected with the current era.
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:24 pm

Geocities played a major role in the early SWAT Kats fandom as it was the primary way for people to post their fan content on a myriad of fansites connected by web rings, mutual linking and most importantly, getting listed on Strike's site The SK Zone (prior to swatkats.com, she had one of the few sites with an actual paid for domain name and web host, at whitestorm.com in the mid-to-late 90s). Aside from Geocities (which later got bought up by Yahoo!) there were many other popular web page building/hosting services that many of us used:
  • tripod
  • members.aol
  • earthlink
  • 50megs
  • fortunecity
I recall about 22 years ago using a combination of Geocities and 50megs (named for the then generous 50 megabytes of file storage you could use) to build the first iterations of The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia (now swatkats.info). Many of us would run out of space on just one account, so people would use multiple ones to build makeshift websites, which often led to random 404s when browsing as portions of the site might go down over time.

One of the most notable and longest lasting SWAT Kats fandom websites hosted on Geocities was The Megakat Diner (which kept the most up-to-date and extensive fanlist at the time), which I kept a rip of prior to Yahoo! shutting everything down:

4 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:54 pm

Rusakov wrote:
I had a Geocities web page! Put it together when I first started learning web page development. I don't care to remember it though, as there are too many bad memories wrapped up in that. Not of the service, mind you, that was fine. I was just an immature little snot.
2 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:19 pm

• tripod
  • members.aol
  • earthlink
  • 50megs
  • fortunecity
Don't forget Angelfire! :P

And it's cool to see that the SK fandom had such a presence on the web so early on. 8-)
Mikazo wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:54 pm
I had a Geocities web page! [...] I don't care to remember it though, as there are too many bad memories wrapped up in that. [...] I was just an immature little snot.
Ah, but weren't we all at one point or another? Madkatlaughing
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:53 am

Rusakov wrote:
You might have heard that Space Jam is about to become a thing again.

1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:42 pm

marklungo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:53 am
Rusakov wrote:
You might have heard that Space Jam is about to become a thing again.
So perhaps it's time for a certain web aesthetic to make a comeback, then?

:P

(Might also explain why I've seen a few recent Lola Bunny submissions on a certain website)
2 x