how many languages do you know?

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
T-Bone
Resident
Russia

how many languages do you know?

Post by T-Bone » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi guys,how many languages do you know?

I know Russian (native),Englihs and Ukrainian.

I studied English language since year 2003 (11 years)

Russian language i know since childhood.

I studied Ukrainian language since year 2012.
0 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.

zaba11
Resident

Re: how many languages do you know?

Post by zaba11 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

I know Polish from born, English from learn, Italian from live and Chinese(litle bit) from study in internet.
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm American, so I only know one language :lol:

For better and worse, this is the general sentiment in the United States (even when traveling abroad):

I did take a couple years of French in college, but today all I can remember is quest ce se en francais?

I'm always impressed by people who are polyglots.
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Great idea for a thread. Очень приятно познакомиться. Мне нравится эта тема. :)

Polyglotism is a favorite subject of mine. I have dabbled extensively into foreign languages, and have always been fascinated by people who master them. Gotta love Jason Bourne. :) Anyway I took German for many years, including some intensive study abroad. I also spent a lot of time learning Russian, and have some pen pals I speak to in it. (I also collaborated on a music project with a Russian guitarist online, in Russian of course.) In addition I have also intensively studied Japanese, and learned some Mandarin Chinese and some Korean. I have written some technical correspondence in Japanese to some companies and have conversed online in it. I also know the grammatical structure of all three languages and can usually put together coherent sentences with some help of a dictionary, and I have been complimented on my pronunciation on all of the above by native speakers.

That said, I have varying levels of proficiency. I feel good about my German, but I need additional work on the other languages too.

I like to think languages are a great conversation piece. And MoDaD, you're right - us yanks have very little incentive to learn them.

외국어를 배우는 게 재미있으니까 자주 공부해요. ^^
0 x

T-Bone
Resident
Russia

Post by T-Bone » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:45 am

My native language is not easy (very many grammar rules and etc) + different alphabet than in the english.
0 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by thelastmemory » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:57 pm

MoDaD wrote:I'm American, so I only know one language.
MoDad, you summed it up perfectly for me. :lol:

I did study Japanese off and on for a while and was actually pretty good at reading and writing it. I took French in High school but almost failed the class. Haha XD
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:31 pm

thelastmemory wrote: I did study Japanese off and on for a while and was actually pretty good at reading and writing it. I took French in High school but almost failed the class. Haha XD
How far did you get in your Japanese study? Did you learn many kanji, or mostly kana? That's one of the biggest hurdles.
0 x

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by thelastmemory » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Mikazo wrote:
thelastmemory wrote: I did study Japanese off and on for a while and was actually pretty good at reading and writing it. I took French in High school but almost failed the class. Haha XD
How far did you get in your Japanese study? Did you learn many kanji, or mostly kana? That's one of the biggest hurdles.
I learned some of the Kanji first, and then slowly added to it as I studied more over the years. It wasn't enough to be fluent, so I always had to have a dictionary on hand. Hiragana was pretty easy to learn but the katakana characters I always had a really hard time remembering for some reason.
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:10 pm

thelastmemory wrote:
Mikazo wrote:
I learned some of the Kanji first, and then slowly added to it as I studied more over the years. It wasn't enough to be fluent, so I always had to have a dictionary on hand. Hiragana was pretty easy to learn but the katakana characters I always had a really hard time remembering for some reason.
漢字がたくさんあるので、漢字を習うのは大変難しいですね。漢字をたくさん習えば確かに頭がいいです。^^

(Since there are a lot of Kanji, learning them can be difficult. If you manage to learn a lot of them, you're likely very smart.)
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination
United States of America

Post by LowdogCraft » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:30 am

I know English of course, and I'm currently learning Spanish.
0 x
~BlueFoxxo
Artist, Musician, Writer, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
also i'm bi
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."
Icon by @menacing-marshmallow on Tumblr