Titan A.E.

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
T-Bone
Long-Term Resident
Russia

Titan A.E.

Post by T-Bone » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Story: In the year 3028 A.D., Earth is being attacked by the Drej, which are aliens made of pure energy! The Drej mother-ship destroys Earth with an energy beam just as hundreds of space vehicles manage to escape with the last of mankind aboard! One of the escapees is Sam's young son Cale, who carries with him a ring given to him by his father. Fifteen years later, Cale works on a salvage station, eking out a rough life and hating his father for having disappeared aboard the Titan so long ago. Without a home planet, surviving humans have been reduced to outer space drifters and are constantly bullied and looked down on by other space-faring races. A human captain named Joseph Korso and his pilot Akima seek out Cale and explain that he must help them find the Titan which contains a mechanism that will create a new Earth and therefore unite all of humanity. Meanwhile, the Drej wants to find the Titan so that they can destroy it. With Korso's help, Cale discovers that the ring his father gave.

Trailer:

This is my favorite animated movie which i saw when i was a kid. In this movie has a good storyline about battle vs evil,very many action,wonderful space ships,stations and of course amazing music.

What do you think about this animated movie?
0 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.

Poecat
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: Titan A.E.

Post by Poecat » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:16 am

I LOVE Titan AE. It was one of those cartoon movies that made my jaw drop when I was younger. I loved the animation so much. I still have it, though its on VHS and my VCR is meh. I need to get it on DVD someday.
0 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:57 pm

I watched that movie in a cinema when it came out and I remember that I was very impressed how the 2D and 3D animations were composed. Also some of the effects were just bombastic. I also like the soundtrack very much.
For a kid's movie it contains a lot of action that some people might find too violent for that kind of audience. (Hmm, wasn't there a series about two kats in a fighter jet that was sometimes criticized for that? :lol:).

When I watched Titan A.E. again a few months ago I noticed the following:
The 2D animation has aged quite well while the 3D part now looks hopelessly outdated. This isn't very surprising for me as the CGI technology was still in heavy development back then and you needed a huge rendering farm to accomplish things which a single machine can handle nowadays.

But although the 3D part of Titan A.E. may be outdated, I think it's still fun to watch.

When thinking of it I believe that "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest" which also include 2D animations (the "real" world) and 3D animations (the virtual world) is a perfect example for the aging problem of early CGI. Back then, the Questworld scenes looked like high quality rendering cutscenes from a video game. As a gamer I found that pretty cool. But when I look at these scenes now, especially the character animations look very inept and some of these scenes are just painful to look at.
0 x

Casandro
Fandom Veteran
Germany

Post by Casandro » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:08 am

Ohh I should re visit that eventually. It was quite an odd movie coming from Don Bluth who was more known for movies like "The Secret of Nimh" or "An American Tail".
0 x

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Post by TazKat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:43 am

The part where Kale was flying with the Wake Angels... stunning~
0 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Website
My DA Account
Art Commission Info

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Casandro wrote:It was quite an odd movie coming from Don Bluth who was more known for movies like "The Secret of Nimh" or "An American Tail".
Although this isn't directly related to Titan A.E. it might be interesting for those of you in this forum who also like Don Bluth movies. He and Gary Goldman have decided to start a Kickstarter campaign recently (ends Nov 25 2015). It's for a teaser for Dragon's Lair: The Movie and they need to collect $550K :shock: for a successful funding. So, if you are a Dragon's Lair fan and have some money left you didn't spent on the SWAT Kats campaign (shame on you if that's the case :lol:) then this might be something for you.

I didn't thought that I would ever hear of that brand again and I think I'm gonna watch how this campaign performs out of curiosity.

When I compare the rewards of this campaign with the ones for SWAT Kats I have the feeling that we received more for our money than the Dragon's Lair backers will. You'll need to pledge $300 in order to get a cool looking Dragon's Lair T-Shirt. Okay, you'll also get all the previous tear rewards, but the difference between this reward tear and the previous is still $125. So, $50 for a SWAT Kats T-Shirt seems to be quite a bargain. ;)
0 x

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Post by TazKat » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:03 am

Haha awesome! I never played Dragon's Lair but the character designs alone make me watch to watch it should a film take form.

And shoot you can make an entire thread on Don Bluth. He made my childhood full of fantasy (and nightmare fuel) :D
0 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Website
My DA Account
Art Commission Info

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:41 pm

TazKat wrote:Haha awesome! I never played Dragon's Lair but the character designs alone make me watch to watch it should a film take form.
The Dragon's Lair game basically is already some kind of a movie as it plays short sequences of animations in a mostly random order.
While the animation is playing you have to click the correct button of your controller at the right time in order to survive. If you click a wrong button or you're too slow Dirk (the protagonist) instantly dies. This sums up the gameplay and I'm actually having a hard time calling this gameplay at all. But having in mind that it was released in the early 80s, people were probably just fascinated by the stunning graphics and put tons of quarters into the slots of the arcade machines.

A while back a Blu Ray version has been released which can be played on almost every Blu Ray player because of its simplistic game mechanics. I've dug up two videos on YouTube showing the gameplay:
A playthrough
Death scenes (and yes, you gonna die lots of times in this game :lol:)
TazKat wrote:And shoot you can make an entire thread on Don Bluth. He made my childhood full of fantasy (and nightmare fuel) :D
There is one scene in The Land Before Time I'll probably never get over with. It's the one where Littlefoot's mother protects him from the Tyrannosaurus Rex and dies shortly after because of the injuries she suffers during the encounter. Back then I was about nine years old and cried a river in the movie theater. It's probably one of most emotional scenes ever created in western animation.
0 x

Ocelot
Resident
Philippines

Post by Ocelot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:15 pm

Casandro wrote: It was quite an odd movie coming from Don Bluth who was more known for movies like "The Secret of Nimh" or "An American Tail".
I thought it fit him just fine actually. The story was dark, the animation was great, and not once did the film talk down to kids like the other Animation Studios. Thats always been Don Bluths M.O. His last great film in my opinion. Until he finally gets financing for the Dragons Lair movie he's planning.
0 x

Darker
Resident
Spain

Post by Darker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:29 pm

I don't remember this movie at all.
But I'm guessing it's awesome simply because it's a Don Bluth movie.
0 x
It feels so good to be bad!
Click above & enjoy