Blacksad

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Ocelot
Resident
Philippines

Blacksad

Post by Ocelot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:53 pm

Has anyone here have read or heard of this graphic novel called Blacksad. Here are some panels of the comic to show you all whats in it.

As you can see the artwork is beautifully done by Juanjo Guarnido a former Disney animator. The comic was written by Juan Canales. It was originally published in France. Although the story has a very American Influence considering most of the story takes place in America and its a Hard Boiled Detective Noir story set around the 1950s. Word of warning to people who plan on reading it. Like Noir stories the book does delve into Violence and other subjects like Sex, and nudity. So if you are sensitive towards those things this is not the comic for you.

Also when i read it, the first thing I immediately thought of was Swat Kats combined with LA Confidential. Mostly because the main protagonist is a Cat. I highly recommend it to anyone here. Its a very well written book and you will enjoy the artwork.
1 x

Darker
Resident
Spain

Re: Blacksad

Post by Darker » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:32 pm

As a spanish nerd, it would be pretty sad if I hadn't heard of it. I'd like to consider it a spanish comic, though.
I haven't been able to read it, because I've been busy with other stuff, but I plan to get it at some point.

I'm still waiting for them to do a film about it,this comic truly deserves it.
1 x
It feels so good to be bad!
Click above & enjoy

Ocelot
Resident
Philippines

Post by Ocelot » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 am

Darker wrote:As a spanish nerd, it would be pretty sad if I hadn't heard of it. I'd like to consider it a spanish comic, though.
I haven't been able to read it, because I've been busy with other stuff, but I plan to get it at some point.

Please do you won't regret it if you did. Its also a pretty fast read. I got the first volume on Christmas. I finished the whole thing in an hour tops. I really couldn't put it down. I definitely agree its more Spanish considering the creators.

Movie sounds good. But I kind a want to see a tv series more and it has to be Hand Drawn Animated. Thats the only to do it justice I think. I don't think it would work in Live Action.
1 x

Darker
Resident
Spain

Post by Darker » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:25 am

They were planning on doing a movie back in 2007 and 2010, I don't know how the movie's going but hopefully it'll be released soon.
0 x
Click above & enjoy

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:05 pm

I used to own a couple of these books. Very neat concept. The artwork is definitely eye-catching. The stories themselves didn't draw me in quite so much, but those are probably secondary to the visual aspect anyway.

I was a bit surprised that many of the characters don't have tails. Also, I couldn't help but notice that Blacksad's face seemed to change in the second installment - it became less cat-like.

I would be interested to see if this idea gets developed further.
0 x

Ocelot
Resident
Philippines

Post by Ocelot » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Mikazo wrote:
I was a bit surprised that many of the characters don't have tails. .
You know before you said that I never really thought much about tails in animated anthromorphic characters. Now it got me thinking about how pointless the tails are. I never once notice in Swat Kats that any of the characters had tales at all. With the exception of Viper who uses his as a weapon. Whats really the need for it other than to confirm they are cats. I can already tell that just by looking at their heads. Just keep the tales off I think and plus the characters in Swat Kats are clothed every time.
1 x

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Post by TazKat » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:22 am

My question is what in the world does he use to color his work? It looks like really intricate watercolor. I've always admired the art even though I don't own any of the novels.
1 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Website
My DA Account
Art Commission Info

Darker
Resident
Spain

Post by Darker » Fri May 13, 2016 11:42 am

Okay, I finished the 5 volumes a while ago.

They're all amazing.
2 x
Click above & enjoy

Ocelot
Resident
Philippines

Post by Ocelot » Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 am

TazKat wrote:My question is what in the world does he use to color his work? It looks like really intricate watercolor.
It definitely looks like watercolor. Although im not too sure.

And recently saw Zootopia. Reminded me of this as well.
1 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:16 pm

Darker wrote:As a spanish nerd, it would be pretty sad if I hadn't heard of it. I'd like to consider it a spanish comic, though.

I'd do it if I had a studio... and money... and any artistic talent. :(
1 x