Thundarr the Barbarian

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
marhawkman
Resident
United States of America

Thundarr the Barbarian

Post by marhawkman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 am

So who here was a fan of that show? It was a seriously quirky sci-fi/action/fantasy series. One of the staples was exciting fights against bizarre mutant monsters and evil wizards.

It also had the most bizarre reason for cancellation ever.... It was so popular that the network execs decided they didn't need any more episodes.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: Thundarr the Barbarian

Post by Kooshmeister » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:41 pm

I remember watching reruns of it on Cartoon Network and enjoying them.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Swatkatfan21
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Swatkatfan21 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:01 am

I really enjoyed watching this one back when CN had more shows than just Teen Titans Go.

It had that great mixture of magic, super science, and dystopia. Demon dogs! Oh how I miss watching this show.

Two things always bothered me though. The way Thundarr treated his companions which at times seemed condescending. The other was the lack of new civilizations forming beyond those squatting in old ruins. Humans are pretty tough creatures and given just the sweat of our brow we can accomplish great things. So many missed opportunities for super science storylines.

Still it was a fun show I will share with my nephews the next time we have pizza and movie weekend 8-)
1 x

marhawkman
Resident
United States of America

Post by marhawkman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Yeah it was at times extremely idiosyncratic. In several episodes you see a variety of rather small things that were leftovers from before the cataclysm, but would a steel trashcan really last 1000 years? Especially if it's laying on the ground outside?

It did a reasonably good job of showing why there weren't large human civilizations though. Too many wars. Especially when you have dudes like Mindok wreaking havoc.

Oh, there's a wiki if you want to read more. http://thundarr.wikia.com/wiki/Thundarr ... arian_Wiki
2 x