Your daily dose of drama

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Your daily dose of drama

Post by marklungo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:43 am

Hey, everyone. This topic has nothing to do with SWAT Kats--which, paradoxically, is why I'm bringing it up on this forum. I need to write about this incident somewhere and AFAIK, neither of the other people involved go to this site. Anyway, here's what happened...

1. During an exchange of private messages at WEBSITE, I recommended Artist A's work to Artist B.

2. It turns out B is already familiar with A--because they're enemies. B proceeded to go on a brief rant about how A is a terrible person.

3. As of now, I intend to stay friends with both of these people, but my perceptions of them are forever changed. I've had a couple of minor run-ins with A, but nothing like what B describes. Meanwhile, I've never known B to put down another person until now. I guess I've learned what both of them are capable of.

As you can tell, I'm a little disturbed by what just happened--or am I taking it all too seriously? I'd appreciate whatever comments any of you might have.
3 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Poecat
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: Your daily dose of furry drama

Post by Poecat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:03 am

Hmm, for myself, I would do as you and keep interacting with both... but also keep in mind that there is tension between the two and try not to bring either of them up to the other.

Also, had you heard Artist A's side? Or is what you learned only from Artist B's point of view?

There could be a major misunderstanding between the two, that got blown out of proportion. And you never really know what went down ... only they know from their perceptions.

So.. my opinion would be to keep doing as you are and keep that bit of info in mind when talking with them.
4 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for the good advice, Poecat--and for offering it so quickly!
Poecat wrote:Hmm, for myself, I would do as you and keep interacting with both... but also keep in mind that there is tension between the two and try not to bring either of them up to the other.

Also, had you heard Artist A's side? Or is what you learned only from Artist B's point of view?

There could be a major misunderstanding between the two, that got blown out of proportion. And you never really know what went down ... only they know from their perceptions.
I haven't heard A's side, but I'm not planning to ask A what happened, or even tell them that I know B. Now that I've stumbled into their little war, I intend to stumble back out as quickly as possible.
Poecat wrote:So.. my opinion would be to keep doing as you are and keep that bit of info in mind when talking with them.
As noted, that's what I'm doing, but it's good to get confirmation from a trusted neutral party that I've made the right decision.
3 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Poecat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:03 am

marklungo wrote: I haven't heard A's side, but I'm not planning to ask A what happened, or even tell them that I know B. Now that I've stumbled into their little war, I intend to stumble back out as quickly as possible.
Oh yeah no, I wouldn't ask side A what happened either. Back outta that friction fast!
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: Your daily dose of drama

Post by MoDaD » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:34 am

I've edited this thread slightly to provide a little more obfuscation.
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks, MoDaD! Wish I'd thought of that.
1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:55 am

And, as for advice... I've lost count how many people I've inadvertently offended over the years. Most of them I can barely remember, but a few do stand out, and I regret that those friendships ended.

I frequently find myself in the situation you've described. I'd like to say that as long as you're respectful/understanding and nice to all involved that things will go along normally. But, from my own experience, once one of two parties finds out that you're involved in some fashion with their worst enemy (even if it's only a minor thing), it's only a matter of time until you become that enemy. In their minds, the seed has been planted, and over time it's likely to grow into a wedge (if it hasn't already).

I'm not saying that's the case for your situation, but it's something to keep in mind and to be prepared for.
3 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Jiesi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:44 pm

I am so sorry that you where put in the spot like that. They should realize not to drag someone into a feud like that or make them feel like they have to pick sides. It's between them, your not the ref. You can be their for them and say sorry you feel attacked which is probably why B was putting down A. People have the natural instinct to defend themselves and I think the Internet really amps that up since your not talking one on one and like reading a book you visualize your own thing and inturpet things differently.
Also how a person is shouldn't affect their work. DaVinchi sold plans to a country that was feuding
With his. It's horrible but his work should carry its own life and have its own value and Picasso he had a little something going on with the ladies. If we all focused on the ugliness of human nature we would never see the beauty we create. Even if it's out of pain fear frustration etc it can be used for something more. Like deviation brings us together and reminds us we're all human, we're the same, we help one another and I think I went off topic a bit.
Back to topic: if the feud just happened recently maybe it will blow over after time if not she needs to learn to let things go. It doesn't feel good to hold onto negativity.
2 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by EricoBard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Online flame wars and friction boils down to a waste of time and energy. It's very rare that you'll ever be able to evince a change in someone's personality; it always requires a certain ground shaking personal crisis for that to happen. With age, though, you learn to try and keep above it.

Truth be told, the biggest personality conflict I've had on creative websites happened right here, with Koosh; He got on my case a bit in his reviews of "Foundation" for using one dimensional nameless npcs to set up a situation, I bristled, we exchanged some light barbs. We also have a slight difference of opinion on Viper. BUT! And here's the BUT!

Koosh is by far one of the most knowledgeable folks in the SK community, and in our conversations since then, I have come to respect his insight and opinions. When I want to make sure I'm not going off script too badly, or that I remembered an episode correctly, I'll reach out to him. If we aren't friends, I look at him as a valued acquaintance,and someone who is an asset to the community as a whole beyond myself. And his opinion that "heroes are everywhere in Megakat City" did, after I was done fuming for a bit, roll around in ky brain for a while and then lead to one of the major plot points in "Transitions"... a plot point which is still in progress, and whose end results won't be revealed until the end. So while how I write and how he writes remain VERY different, we nonetheless help each other. He gave me ideas indirectly that would end up making a better story, and hopefully, I've inspired Koosh in the same way.

But I do know of folks who never resolve their differences. And in those situations, there's no use in getting involved.

-Erico
3 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Jiesi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Kinda ironic you posted this since i had crazy morning at work and awkword moments after lunch.....gonna be a long school year. At lest you don't have to face this drama in person
2 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat