Snow!

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Snow!

Post by Kooshmeister » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:07 am

Got up and discovered it snowed overnight. I hope my mom is happy. She's been wanting it to snow in December for a while now, and it's stubbornly refused to happen, waiting until January for the past few years. Now, at last, she's gotten her wish.

It doesn't look like it'll stick, though. No more snow is coming down, reduced to ordinary cold winter drizzle, and what came down overnight appears to be melting, although not very quickly due to it being overcast. I'd planned to let the crickets I was feeding to Richard* before he died go today, but that ain't happenin'. They may just be feeder crickets, but I'm at least gonna let the little boogers stay inside with me where it's warm and they can eat orange slices until this slush thaws and melts and the sun comes out.

My main concern is that the melting snow will freeze overnight (thank goodness Cleveland Green salted the sidewalks), and that the ice will weigh down the powerlines. I really don't wanna lose my power in December. Ugh. This is why I really don't like winter.

*Richard was my pet scorpion, who passed away a few days ago. RazHurt
4 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Leon Mane
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: Snow!

Post by Leon Mane » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 am

About a week ago we got some good snowfall. Six, maybe seven inches over three days. Then again, I'm in Utah. Near the mountains, we usually get some good powder, and that's great for ski season.

Sorry about Richard. It's always painful losing a pet. They're like family after only a short while. To us, they're with us for a good part of our lives, but to them, we're their family for their whole lives.
0 x

zyna
Resident
Ukraine

Post by zyna » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:25 am

Yes, it very much looks like baby snow. Pretty light. It's not uncommon for our roads to turn extremely icy after a snowfall. Very perilous, but I think I'm just used to it. I honestly think winter's great. Makes me feel alive. Just feel bad for all the poor, cold, aircraft that have to be de-iced. They need a nice, warm, blanket.
Condolences to you on Richard, though. Scorpions are very cool creatures. What species was he, if you don't mind my asking? Also kind of you to give the crickets a luxury for a while. Though, I think I've heard that it is advised to not release feeder insects into the wild. I could be very wrong, but doesn't hurt to make sure. Maybe you could keep them until winter is over if that's the case.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:40 am

The snow is mostly gone now. Now it's just icy rain. Ick. RazorAnnoyedCait
Leon Mane wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 am
Sorry about Richard. It's always painful losing a pet.
Thanks, dude.
zyna wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:25 am
Condolences to you on Richard, though.
Thank you.
zyna wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:25 am
What species was he, if you don't mind my asking?
He was an Asian forest scorpion.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)