S1E01 - The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: S1E01 - The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice

Post by MoDaD » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:03 am

Here are the storyboards for this episode. Note a considerably different character design for Abby Sinian.
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:19 pm

MoDaD wrote:Note a considerably different character design for Abby Sinian.
Huh. While I prefer the design they went with, I'd love to know the story behind the change.
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Ocelot
Resident
Philippines

Post by Ocelot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:35 am

My guess is they wanted to make Dr Sinian more attractive.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:00 am

I think even Storyboard!Sinian is kind of attractive. SinianThisCait
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Echo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Echo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:52 pm

I like how we are introduced to the Swat Kats and we learn how cocky and competitive they are. xD
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:48 am

I promised a novelization of the episode script back in 2018 and here it is finally!

https://textuploader.com/1f23b
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:48 am
I promised a novelization of the episode script back in 2018 and here it is finally!

https://textuploader.com/1f23b
I clicked the link and got this message:
Error 403

The requested post has expired.

If you created this text, it is available after authentication.

Go home or back to your Dashboard.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:45 pm

It shouldn't. I set it to expire "Never." I am confused.

Okay, I set it to expire in one year, and now it's set to never expire. Bleh. Oh well. See if you can view it now. Ditto for Succubus!
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:43 pm

It's fixed. Thanks!
1 x

EditorElohim
Resident
Paraguay

Post by EditorElohim » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:06 pm

As I watched this series again last year, I obviously started with this episode, and I must say that it is a good start: the animation is quite good in comparison or others, and yes: I agree that in the Enforcers they remain a fairly competent paramilitary police force, only limited by Mayor Manx. scaredmanxicon

By the way... Offer the Pastmaster money and a parade? Would Manx do the same with Dark Kat? DarkKatIcon

I'm going to highlight a few things:

- I am baffled by everything about the Pastmaster: I always assumed that Megakat was in an alternative United States, so, in theory, it has NO MEDIEVAL PERIOD. Assuming that the series does take place on Earth, and in an alternative United States, where did the Pastmaster come from? Did some British immigrant have the crazy idea of bringing that cursed chest, burying it next to a neo-Gothic tower with a clock and leaving it there? And another thing... Where did the Pastmaster get that pocket watch? He is supposed to be from the 12th century, and those clocks were invented in FRANCE in the mid-15th century! SinianThisCait

- I agree with Kooshmeister that in this chapter he leaves the friendship and rivalry between T-Bone and Razor well established.

- I'm not fooled: Callie is the Sarah Bellum of the series; not a deputy mayor. Even in Spanish dubbing they call her "assistant." When have you ever seen a deputy mayor do something like a story? It would be quite humiliating for her position. One day I have to make a topic for discussion.

- What kind of doctorate does Abby have? She talks about supernatural things as if it were the most common thing in the world; it is true that every archaeologist must know things like curses and all that, but she makes her look like Giles of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" because of the broad handling and seriousness she puts into the subject. Either there were already incidents of this kind in Megakat before this episode, or... she's just a little crazy.

- Who would think of putting a museum next to a tar pit? It might be useful to attract more people, but anyway... I think it's very risky from a structural point of view. And let's hope a volcano doesn't come out of it, or Dr. Sinnian will be out of a job. RazLaugh

- The whole theme of Swat Kats in prehistoric times... I forgive the inaccuracies about the dinosaurs since... it was the '90s and all that. Even Razor's crazy idea of using volcanic gas as an alternative fuel for Turbokat. -Will it also work with ethanol and biodiesel? TboneLaughCait- What I don't understand is why the heck do they keep using their nicknames? Guys, you're in prehistoric times; there's no kat around 65 million years ago, and I doubt very much that Megasaurus Rex would be interested in being called Jack and Chuck... I mean, Jake and Chance. Either they're too paranoid about their secret identities... or the writers hadn't given them real names yet.

But well, none of that matters, since, once again, ONCE AGAIN, THE DAY IS SAVE THANKS TO...

- Ehm... We have a missile stuck in the clock of the City Hall.
- They'll come and fix it.
- There is damage in the downtown city for thousands of dollars.
- I'll take money out of the Enforcers budget and the Children's Hospital.
- We also have a huge dinosaur stuck in the tar pits.
- Free Brontoburgers for all Megakat City's homeless!

Well... ONCE AGAIN, THE DAY IS SAVE THANKS TO THE Powerp... Oops, wrong program. RazLaugh I meant the Swat Kats! turbokatfire BroFistIcon

One more thing:
I noticed this last year: if you stop the video between 1:30 and 1:31... and Callie and Abby's legs don't block your view, you'll see a map showing South America and the south of Africa, including Madagascar.
Last edited by EditorElohim on Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x