S1E10 - Metal Urgency

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: S1E10 - Metal Urgency

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:19 am

That's hilarious, heh. Maybe Hackle is a racing fan?
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Randomly, it occurs to me, the Behemoth really sucks. I know it was a prototype and not a production model, but, dang, Hard Drive's rampage with it is so brief he never even manages to get out of Pumadyne with it. What about it sucks? Well, apparently, it has no failsafe or dead man switch:

1. When the circuitry is fried, disabling the thought helmet, Hard Drive apparently has no way of operating the weapons manually (i.e. the old-fashioned way, with a trigger). This is a huge design flaw. I know thought control is the point, but still, you'd think Pumadyne would've wanted some way for the operator of the tank to continue their mission/defend themselves in the event that the mental control angle was disabled.

2. Even though only the weapons systems are thought-controlled (Hard Drive appears to drive the Behemoth using joystick things), the entire vehicle spazzes out and goes rogue upon having its circuitry fried, driving itself through a wall before finally stopping. This means that a surge in the system causes the operator to lose control of literally everything in the tank, not just the weapons, and be incapable of stopping himself from crashing. In what universe does this make sense?

These issues helped here because it was a villain driving the tank, but imagine if it were good guys attempting to use it to thwart evil. Those are some hideously incompetent design flaws.
2 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Even though only the weapons systems are thought-controlled (Hard Drive appears to drive the Behemoth using joystick things), the entire vehicle spazzes out and goes rogue upon having its circuitry fried, driving itself through a wall before finally stopping. This means that a surge in the system causes the operator to lose control of literally everything in the tank, not just the weapons, and be incapable of stopping himself from crashing. In what universe does this make sense?
Maybe that was just a malfunction triggered by the overcharge in the circuits, impossible to cancel cos all was fried. But yeah, the fact that there was no automatic shutdown is a fatal failure coming from the great minds of Pumadyne... <u_u">

Anyway, I need to admit that I enjoyed that part of the episode as much as Hard Drive did xD
1 x
Image Find me on: DeviantArt / FurAffinity / Twitter

--------------

NERO X3

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Felix Kayne » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:17 am

Hey, I don't mean to revive long not updated thread, but I just found something that I don't think was pointed out.

In Episode 2, when they came back to the hangar T-Bone stamped the wall with a mark. In that episode, I counted 13 there, including the newly added one for Morbulus.

This is Episode 10, and check what I see.
Attachments
image.jpeg
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:50 am

Felix Kayne wrote:Hey, I don't mean to revive long not updated thread, but I just found something that I don't think was pointed out.

In Episode 2, when they came back to the hangar T-Bone stamped the wall with a mark. In that episode, I counted 13 there, including the newly added one for Morbulus.

This is Episode 10, and check what I see.
LOL HUGE mistake XD That's like the "always july" thing XD

And don't worry about reviving old topics: https://megakatcity.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=374
2 x
Image Find me on: DeviantArt / FurAffinity / Twitter

--------------

NERO X3

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Felix Kayne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Oh my gosh. I was watching this episode and I was looking away for something and noticed something at the corner of my eye. The part where Professor Hackle is walking up to the broke wall to watch Mac and Molly drive away, the Professor totally blinked out of frame for a split second. It's so sudden but now that I saw it, I notice it much more easier.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:24 am

I always thought it was weird that Feral calls the generic commando "Sergeant" at the beginning. Come to find out, in the storyboards, it is the Enforcer Sergeant and another officer inside the tank. And since, as in the finished episode, only Feral bails out in time, this means Storyboard!Sarge dies. And yet he still turns up later in Feral's office (where he's even referred the as the Enforcer Sergeant).

I think what happened is they didn't actually intend to kill him and the other officer in the tank off, and genuinely forgot about them during the bit where Feral bails. So then, realizing their error, they animated it as two expendable commandos instead of a recognizable recurring character.

Of course, this still means nobody comments on those poor guys being flattened. Let's see what the early script draft has to say.

Edit: Nope. The squashed Enforcers in the tank are never brought up.

Also, the script reveals the answer to Mac's question during the Metallikats' drive to Puma-Dyne - "What're you doing?!" in response to Molly releasing and detonating the back half of the Metallikat Express - by having Molly explain she wasn't done blowing up the Enforcer tanks. Why keep Mac's question, but edit out Molly's answer?
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 am

Okay, so Razor says that if their identities are revealed, their "SWAT Kat days are over." But is this necessarily true? The villains (with the possible exception of Dark Kat) all manage to operate pretty much with impunity despite everyone, or at least most people, know their real names. Mac and Molly use their real names, many people have to be aware Viper was once Elrod Purvis, etc., and they operate just fine (a few prison stints notwithstanding). Melodrama aside, I don't think Feral learning that T-Bone and Razor are Chance Furlong and Jake Clawson would mean much aside from them needing to move their base of operations. After all, even though Razor adds "Feral will see to that" (i.e., that he'll capture and imprison them), first he has to catch them. And he could, I guess, but all they have to do is not return to the salvage yard. More on this below.

Aside from that, about the only thing that even having secret identities allows them to do is have downtime between missions. That'd change, too; or, at least, they couldn't really go out in public much anymore. But the thing is, they didn't seem to do that anyway. In fact, they appear to have no social lives at all that would justify the need to continue keeping up the charade.

They have no close friends or relatives that we're aware of, which is the usual excuse used to handwave why this or that hero has a secret identity. In fact, the only people they actually regularly interact with as themselves are Callie, Burke, Murray, Hackle and that little old lady. They might interact with more people offscreen that we never see because the show was always more interested in what they did as SWAT Kats than in what they did as mechanics, but it really seems like they have no social lives and live pretty isolated above the garage in the salvage yard in the middle of frickin' nowhere, and it says a lot that of the five people they interact with outside of being SWAT Kats, they're only actually friends with one of them; everyone else they interact with in relation to their jobs as mechanics; Hackle only spoke to them so he could get the Metallikat parts, and they run the salvage yard, Burke and Murray are their co-workers/minders, and the old lady is just a regular customer who doesn't seem to even like them very much. So Callie is their only actual friend. And even she seems like a customer who happens to be a friend as opposed to a friend who's also a customer.

So the Chance and Jake's social lives outside of being SWAT Kats and doing things related to being SWAT Kats such as training and exercising:

-Running the salvage yard and their auto repair business, the profits of which apparently go almost entirely to paying off their debt to Feral.
-Interacting with maybe three or four people in connection to that, only one of whom is actually their friend.
-We see them go to to the theater in The Ci-Kat-A. With no one else but one another.
-Chance raises the possibility of going to the museum in The Ghost Pilot.
-They go to the beach in Volcanus Erupts!. And again, it's just the two of them.
-Jake goes to the orchestra with Callie in the unfinished Succubus! And once again, Jake knows nobody else at the philharmonic hall. He's just Callie's plus one and she drives him home right after.

So. They have one friend and don't get out much if at all. What exactly would they be losing if they couldn't retreat into their civilian identities anymore again? As noted, at worst, they'd have to move to a new secret base and have to try harder to evade capture. But while a hassle, that isn't impossible, and the villains manage to do it just fine. Are they concerned about their reputations? Most of Megakat City loves the SWAT Kats and would probably still support them; heck, their customers might even brag that the famous vigilantes once towed them. And as Chance and Jake they're probably pariahs in the Enforcers so it isn't like they'd really be losing the average commando's respect by having it suddenly revealed they're the SWAT Kats.

This is why I feel it's important that they should've been given more friends, more of a life outside of being the SWAT Kats, and why I even wrote them as slowly becoming friends with Burke and Murray in my fanfics (such as in my rewrite/expansion of The Doctors of Doom); so they'd actually have something besides the luxury of going to the movies or to the beach to lose if their real identities were laid bare to the world.

And, returning to the idea that of their identities being discovered, that got me thinking... do they have some kind of contingency plan for that? They had hidden weapons to defend themselves in case of the hangar being breached, of course, but what if they had to go on the run? It doesn't seem like they have one (and just to prove I'm no hypocrite for calling the show out on this, I didn't really write one for them in The End of the SWAT Kats!, either; they just ran like crazy and were quickly caught, but in my - and their - defense, that was mainly intended to show just how surprised they were by Feral's intrusion; that if they had a backup/escape plan, they lacked time to implement it). As for going on the lam, I wrote them as refusing to do so out of principle if caught, but I realize others, including the series' writers, might think differently. Discuss. ZymeIcon
1 x

stancymckatt
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by stancymckatt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:27 am

I'm grasping at straws a bit here as I'm still rereading all the canon info.. (I haven't watched Swat Kats since Boomerang's run in the mid 2000s.) So please correct me anywhere I get off.

While it's implied that Chance may not have much of a home life anymore. Enforcer dad MIA.(?) His Mom maybe alive somewhere in the neighbor hood that Pop's from... but there's nothing canon about that either way.

Maybe Chance's Dad was well liked enough that a lot of the enforcers missed him and put him on some kind of memorial wall. And Chance wouldn't want to smear his memory, as would lamentably happen if it came out he was a Swat Kat. In theory, if Chance idolized his dad, and that's why he became and Enforcer. It might be enough for him to bother with keeping it a secret.

Absolutely NOTHING has been said about Jakes family (as far as I can remember). He may have parents, and siblings, offscreen somewhere that he wants to protect, and the show's so focused on the action that it gets ignored. Or he may have been an orphan. Is there anything implied somewhere about it?

Then it could simply be that it gives them down time where they don't have HUGE target's on their backs by every crazy kat in the city. A way to avoid burn out.

Edited to add: Yes I think it would have been wonderful for them to have more back story... Which would probably have happened as the show went forward. It getting cancelled probably kept that from happening... The only part of the show we actually have is the hook part. Even Batman started out this way, and look how much back story there is now.
2 x