How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Leon Mane
Resident
United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Post by Leon Mane » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:06 pm

marklungo wrote:
Leon Mane wrote:Thing with villains is: they have ways to avoid being killed, usually. Dr. Viper can (likely) regenerate, the Metallikats are remarkably durable and have Hackle to rebuild them, Pastmaster is a lich with time magic, and Dark Kat has fail-safes for his fail-safes so killing him is more a matter of having him held in place and confirmed to be him before using a lot of fire, lasers, and maybe a few gallons chlorine tri-flouride for good measure.
All good points, but in fiction there are countless ways to bring a dead character back to life if the creators and/or fans want it to happen, whether the character has powers or tech to protect them or not. And remember, we never actually saw Zyme's body...
True, and I'd considered mentioning resurrection, but I figured mentioning Hackle rebuilding Mac and Molly sort of covered that. It sort of reinforces the point that villains are nearly impossible to get rid of for good. Heroes, usually require special situations. Zyme surviving, easy to justify. He managed to scramble out of the way at the last second, or barely avoided the hand, but got burned in the process, until the creators confirm it, Zyme surviving isn't difficult to justify.

Slice of life can happen anytime, but being mutually exclusive from action and heroics? Never said that~. Feral or Felina having a rough day with criminals, Manx having to explain away an action scene we only get glimpses of (Not impossible to show an earlier episode's fight from his perspective, actually), Callie being threatened by some random street thug but manages to handle him and still get her job/task/grocery-shopping done, all followed by the episode's end. Just a normal day in MC. Just thought it'd be nice to expand on the characters in their daily lives. Normal stuff, something happens to interrupt them, they resolve it by the end of the episode, same as some of the episodes, really. They were starting to give us brief glimpses the way into the civilian lives off at least Jake and Chance, showed us Feral and Manx's homes to give us some ideas about them. Maybe not Slice of Life, but... Slivers?
1 x

Echo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Echo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:02 pm

I would like to at least see where Jake came from, since we know Chance lived in MegaKat City his whole life.
1 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Leon Mane wrote: True, and I'd considered mentioning resurrection, but I figured mentioning Hackle rebuilding Mac and Molly sort of covered that. It sort of reinforces the point that villains are nearly impossible to get rid of for good. Heroes, usually require special situations. Zyme surviving, easy to justify. He managed to scramble out of the way at the last second, or barely avoided the hand, but got burned in the process, until the creators confirm it, Zyme surviving isn't difficult to justify.
There you go, Zyme could end up as a good counterpart to the Metallikats. Say he survives, albeit is badly injured, and either has to be fitted with numerous cybernetics and advanced prosthetics (Adam Jensen from "Deus Ex" anyone?), or even a full robotic chassis a la RoboCop. Imagine him going from being a mild-mannered scientist to an augmented force to be reckoned with! Makes me think of Gordon Freeman from Half Life in a way. We could call him RoboZyme. Or maybe CyberZyme?

Okay, I'm getting a little carried away here.
Leon Mane wrote: They were starting to give us brief glimpses the way into the civilian lives off at least Jake and Chance, showed us Feral and Manx's homes to give us some ideas about them. Maybe not Slice of Life, but... Slivers?
If you had a slice of life story about Hard Drive, that could be a partition of life. Or a byte of life. Hmm. ZymeIcon
2 x

Tarnish
Resident
Hungary

Post by Tarnish » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:24 am

What I wish for is paying a bit more attention to consistency between the scenes.

For example, in Mutation City, the giant mutated frog causes multiple holes in the Turbokat's canopy, its acid drool burning at least 2 small holes, and also creating a bigger one with its tongue. Yet, we never see this damage again, even when the Turbokat gets yanked underwater, the 'water' seems to only leak inside between the jointings of the canopy.

The same goes for T-bone's control stick: they show the acid melting it in one scene, but it all seems to be for show without any real affect.

Also paying a bit more attention to details in the writing. In Volcanus Erupts, they show the rivet gun just laying insecured in the bomb bay, meaning it was probably just bouncing around in the bomb bay all this time.

I know these are kinda nitpicky things, but they just irk me, lol.
2 x

Leon Mane
Resident
United States of America

Post by Leon Mane » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

I'm with you on consistency. Minor things like coloring can be forgiven if it's close enough, but all you mentioned, that just feels lazy, or possibly rushed through multiple artists and they didn't get the same memo.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Tarnish wrote:What I wish for is paying a bit more attention to consistency between the scenes.
https://kooshmeister.tumblr.com/post/13 ... es-husband

The infamous bacteria monster eye number screwup is the worst inconsistency in the show. Next to that, the shortcomings in episodes like Mutation City are minor.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Tarnish
Resident
Hungary

Post by Tarnish » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 am

Kooshmeister wrote:
Tarnish wrote:What I wish for is paying a bit more attention to consistency between the scenes.
https://kooshmeister.tumblr.com/post/13 ... es-husband

The infamous bacteria monster eye number screwup is the worst inconsistency in the show. Next to that, the shortcomings in episodes like Mutation City are minor.
I beg to differ. The number of eyes on the bacteria monster doesn't really have an effect on the events/story. If they had it with 10 eyes in a shot, that wouldn't really change anything in the events unfolding, it would just look even weirder, purely an animation error. However, holes in the Turbokat canopy in Mutation City is something that should have had an effect in the story when the Turbokat got pulled underwater, as the holes would have allowed the cockpit to fill way faster, very likely leading to a different underwater scene altogether. It wasn't just an animation error, it was more of a writing/plot error actually.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Gotcha. But it's still a much bigger error visually.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)