How & When Did You First See The Show?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Casandro
Fandom Veteran
Germany

Re: How & When Did You First See The Show?

Post by Casandro » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:28 am

Well for me that must have been in 1993 when it first aired on Cartoon Network Europe. We had a satellite dish so we could receive the (back then) impressive couple of dozens of TV channels, I think it was just below 30. One of them was Cartoon Network Europe, the new European version of Cartoon Network. Back then I was around 12. I was already a big hyped by the promos scattered around Cartoon Network so I even recorded the (I think) very first episode. I still have that tape somewhere. It was something completely different to what was shown on that channel before.

I then later got a PC Internet access and a frame grabber so I was able to actually digitize some frames from that series.
4 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:14 am

Casandro wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:28 am
I then later got a PC Internet access and a frame grabber so I was able to actually digitize some frames from that series.
What kind of hardware/software did you use to capture frames back then?
0 x

Casandro
Fandom Veteran
Germany

Post by Casandro » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:52 am

What kind of hardware/software did you use to capture frames back then?
It was a Fast F60 MJPEG capable video editing card in an 80 MHz 486 from AMD. The software was Ulead Video studio in whatever old version that came with the card, plus of course Paintshop Pro. The software ran under an operating system called Windows, which was more or less a graphical GUI for MS-DOS. Weird stuff, but it did its job and you could even get browsers for it.
The VCR was a Grundig 2x4 Super
http://archive.hmvh.net/oldstuff/V2000.htm

The satellite receiver was a Technisat ST 2002 S.
1 x

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Post by Dr. Ascara » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Hello everyone. So glad to discover this cartoon! So...
I have never knew or seen "SWAT Kats" but one week ago I was scrolling some unfunny memes when I saw the shot with (as I know now Dark Swat Kats) and the title: "When cats were more than just pets". And so few likes compairing to other pictures...
I thought: oh, seems to be old enough. What is this? In the beginning I tried watching it in Russian but soon I prefered the original version to deepen completely into the atmosphere. Due to the fact English is not my main foreign language it was difficult enough (mayor Manx is barely impossible to be understood). If I was missing something I repeated that part of the video. In the most complicated cases I used the scripts from your site (I was pleasantly surprised this cartoon still has an active audience).
I was amazed watching the series! Now I am 23 and still most of them were holding my attention the whole timeline. I soon fell in love with the main characters and their charisma. The thing I would like to point out was that despite being heroes they were imperfect and consequently perceived as "real" and believable identities. No Mary Sue syndrome etc. (I dare to suppose it is a frequent problem amongst modern protagonists).
Well, I have just finished watching the episodes and am writing these lines under a strong impression. In my country this cartoon was never broadcasted. Thanks to internet I managed to download all the series. That's a pity the project was canceled.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:50 am

For some reason it never occurred to me that Manx's accent might make him difficult for non-English speakers to understand. Though one can make the argument that even native speakers find him hard to follow at times! scaredmanxicon
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Post by Dr. Ascara » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am

Kooshmeister wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:50 am
For some reason it never occurred to me that Manx's accent might make him difficult for non-English speakers to understand. Though one can make the argument that even native speakers find him hard to follow at times! scaredmanxicon
In the very first episodes when I was accommodating to pronunciation of different characters the mayor sounded like a permanent cough with "Callie" name between times :) The easiest ones were Feral and T-Bone when he was calm. Deep voice, relatively slow speaking.
Finishing the off top I would like to notice the enjoy of hearing Turmoil. Yes, the monotonous "Russian" accent with a thrilling "r".
1 x

DarkYapper
Just Moved In
Mexico

Post by DarkYapper » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:04 pm

In 2008, once I was left with nothing to do, I started to watch TV and since I didn't have Cable TV, I started to watch open TV, from there I started to watch Canal 13 "La imagen de nuestra gente" What is a local Yucatan Canal, (today called Teleyucatan) And they started to run a marathon of cartoons from the 90s and there I started to see all the programming Until I discovered Swat Kats and it was the one that most caught my attention and since then I became a big fan of the series Every time I came home from school, I watched Swat Kats all the time, until the Channel stopped broadcasting the marathon in late 2009 and I couldn't watch it anymore
KittyEyesChanceIcon But it would not take long to discover this great community of Fans that exist, although most are not Mexicans, I am satisfied with this
RazorHappyCait The first chapter I saw was 9
2 x

mrpersonality
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by mrpersonality » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:34 pm

For me, I believe it was back in 93, on WPIX Channel 11. It was the first episode, "The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice". As soon as I saw it, I thought, "Yeah, this is gonna ROCK!"
2 x

stancymckatt
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by stancymckatt » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 pm

I think I first saw it in the 90s... possibly on TBS... I remember being dressed in a dress and waiting to leave, but wanting to catch every last second I could of the show. And mom being annoyed about it because time to leave was 5 minutes before the show was over.

I did see it before it was on Cartoon Network in the late 90s that much I know for certain. Because I thought "OH WOW I haven't thought of that show in years!" when I saw the commercial for it on cartoon network.
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:22 am

mrpersonality wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:34 pm
For me, I believe it was back in 93, on WPIX Channel 11. It was the first episode, "The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice". As soon as I saw it, I thought, "Yeah, this is gonna ROCK!"
Okay, gotta do a little correction here. In NYC, SWAT Kats played on WWOR Channel 9 during the first season. For the second season, it did indeed move to WPIX, so you might have seen it there. However, it's not as likely since WPIX gave the show the wonderful time slot of Wednesdays at 5:30am. No, seriously: check out this 1995 schedule from the broadcasting forum Radio Discussions.
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."