Metallikats Action Figures

Any fandom news about the SWAT Kats, Kats Eye News wants to know!
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Metallikats Action Figures

Post by MoDaD » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:35 am

Received this from Matt Karpowich:
Hiya, SWAT Kats people! Matt Karpowich here. Recently, I went through a big pile of old toy collector magazines - mainly for Transformers content, admittedly, but I found something that I imagine you'll find interesting. While skimming Tomart's Action Figure Digest #16 (copyright 1994, though I couldn't actually find the month of publication), I ran across unmade figures of the Metallikats from Remco's short-lived SWAT Kats toyline. These prototypes seem to be based on the licensing/style guide Metallikats artwork instead of the standard silver bodies they used in the show. The top picture appears to be from the Remco display area at New York City's Toy Fair 1994 (the issue bills itself as the "Super-Colossal Toy Fair '94 Issue"), while the bottom one looks like a press release or catalog photo. A strange footnote to the strange footnote that was the Remco toyline...

Feel free to post the picture up or edit it as you see to fit your needs. Hope you all enjoy, and happy holidays!
Attachments
Remco Metallikats Prototypes.jpg
0 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: Metallikats Action Figures

Post by Poecat » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:54 am

Whoa, very awesome.
0 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:28 am

Nice gift to the community :3

Those figures have even more details than the released ones and still they are not loyal to the show at all ᶘ uᴥu"ᶅ Anyway, they're cool! xD
0 x

SVMON94
Resident
Finland

Post by SVMON94 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:24 pm

That's pretty cool. Love the weird swimsuit-suit thing on the molly figure :D
0 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Felony » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Those are even more cringe worthy than Dark Kay and Dr. Viper. Glad those didn't get produced. I want to know what the designers were smoking when they came up with these... They are horrible!
1 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony

SVMON94
Resident
Finland

Post by SVMON94 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:41 pm

Felony wrote:Those are even more cringe worthy than Dark Kay and Dr. Viper. Glad those didn't get produced. I want to know what the designers were smoking when they came up with these... They are horrible!
I think they figures are bad mostly because they are not regonizable from their on-screen counterparts in any way. (Even for 90's action figure standbards) The arms have so many unnecressary details! Details in action figures are good but overdetailing can ruin a perfectly fine design.
0 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

RedCoonie
Raccoon with a pen
United States of America

Post by RedCoonie » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:53 pm

They look like malformed bat cyborgs that can only make a screech that sounds 1000X worse than nails on a chalk board. unable to speak anything recognizable to any language known to man and beyond. Ted turner saw that if they made it to the market the figures would drain the souls of everyone who bought it so he had to cancel the show before it was made to ensure that the world can be safe from these demonic chunks of plastic that were molded by satan. with these soul stuckers. they would be able to raise the great shuma gorath from his tomb and end the world as we know it.
1 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Felony wrote:Those are even more cringe worthy than Dark Kay and Dr. Viper. Glad those didn't get produced. I want to know what the designers were smoking when they came up with these... They are horrible!
Hmm... "Garbage Pail Kats" anyone? :lol:
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:41 pm

I have to agree with you. Those are terrible-looking. But hilariously so. :lol:

Also, who's Dark Kay? Dark Kat's girlfriend? :lol:
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Felony » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:37 am

SVMON94 wrote: I think they figures are bad mostly because they are not regonizable from their on-screen counterparts in any way. (Even for 90's action figure standbards) The arms have so many unnecressary details! Details in action figures are good but overdetailing can ruin a perfectly fine design.
I completely agree. Who knows what reference guide was given to the designers. They seemed to have been allowed to take 'creative liberties' with the end result.
Mikazo wrote:Hmm... "Garbage Pail Kats" anyone? :lol:
LOL I collected those as a kid, wish I still had them. These kinda do resemble twisted GPK characters.
Kooshmeister wrote:Also, who's Dark Kay? Dark Kat's girlfriend? :lol:
Ha! Every heist begins with Kay...

Typo brought to you by autocorrect and my worsening vision.
3 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony