Viewing the show as you get older

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: Viewing the show as you get older

Post by marklungo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:34 am

First, this is a really cool topic with a lot of thought-provoking writing. I'm sorry I didn't read it three years ago when it was new.

So why am I responding to it after so much time has passed? Because of this passage.
Betaruga wrote:I still don't quite get what "Down these means skies. A kat must fly" means tho. Dunno if I’m missing a comma or am just missing a reference all together, or what. I never really grasped that one. It sounds poetic but awkward xD Or I'm 20 years slow. Help, anybody?
I know there's every chance that Betaruga has learned the answer by now, but just in case...

Raymond Chandler was a legendary novelist and screenwriter who is best remembered for creating Phillip Marlowe, a famous private detective character whose stories codified many of the "private eye" tropes that remain familiar today. Chandler also wrote "The Simple Art of Murder", a well-known essay about detective fiction that is the source of the quote that T-Bone paraphrases. You can read the entire article here, but here's an excerpt from the relevant paragraph:
In everything that can be called art there is a quality of redemption. It may be pure tragedy, if it is high tragedy, and it may be pity and irony, and it may be the raucous laughter of the strong man. But down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. The detective in this kind of story must be such a man. He is the hero, he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world.
4 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Re: Viewing the show as you get older

Post by Ty-Chou » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks for sharing with us, Mark. I had a feeling T-Bone was paraphrasing something, but I didn't know what it was. Very interesting! Though I personally never found T-Bone's statement confusing. I knew what he was saying, even as a kid.

The previous Swat Kast on the Ghost Pilot episode make me think about one aspect of the show that irritated me both as a kid and now as an adult for different reasons: Callie writing Manx's speech.

As a kid, I was irritated at Manx for being lazy and making Callie write his speeches for him. As an adult, I am still irritated that Callie is writing Manx's speeches, but there's one of that irritation directed at Manx. It is very common for politicians to have someone else write their speeches. People who's education and specialty is writing exactly that. No one thinks any less of politicians who have professionals draft the speech for them.

As an adult, what irritated me was that Callie was writing the speech. She could go hire one of these professionals to do it for her, but she's choosing to do it herself. So I don't... really feel that bad for her.

As a kid, we don't really think much about the jobs of politicians and what is and isn't their responsibilities. It's still fun to watch something from my childhood and, as an adult, suddenly have that "wait a minute!" moment where you see things from a new perspective.
4 x