SWAT Kats: Running Kat - A fan made game for web browsers

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Re: SWAT Kats: Running Kat - A fan made game for web browsers

Post by Cait » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Howdy!

Spanish translation is now available in the game!!! ᶘ ^ᴥ^ᶅ

I was really easy to translate all the text and took me less than 2 hours. I like a lot how it looks now (I always like to see my own work working, specially when it's about game contents) and I encourage you to give it a chance if you can add a new language, it's very satisfying.

Here are a few tips for anyone who want to add a new translation:

- You don't need to know anything about programming, everything you need to translate is between "", so don't worry if you have never used a code before.
- If you can, use a program that allows you to see the number of the lines. This will help you and Mr. Goodkat to find a line if you have any doubts about the translation.
- Don't worry about using an adaptation instead of a literal translation, it's posible for that adaptation to fit a lot better in your language that the original line.
- When the translation is done, double check if everything is correct and you didn't miss anything. You'll probably find some typos and correct them that way.

Hope this helps future translators :3
2 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Thu May 04, 2017 5:49 pm

I had some time and was in the right mood to make a few changes to the game which don't have an effect on the gameplay itself, but deal with some issues I didn't notice earlier or was too lazy to do right in the first place. Hopefully it improves the user experience a little. So here goes...

Update log - Build 20170504
  • Added a rank column to the highscore table such that players can see more clearly where they are positioned.
  • Rearragned the header and rows of the highscore.
  • Instead of letting the highscore table scroll automatically, the player can now use the new up- and down-buttons to navigate through it manually which is much faster (I figured it was getting frustrating for novice players to wait in order to check where they are positioned in the highscore table which had 150 entries when I added this new functionality).
  • Added a loading icon to the highscore screen since it takes a moment until the entries have been loaded and prepared for display as the list has become longer over time.
  • By pressing the Back-button in the highscore screen the player immediately gets back to the main menu, even if the list is still loaded or prepared for display.
  • The Back-button can now be pressed at any time in the help menu (in the previous build the players had to wait until all instruction text was displayed in order for the button to appear).
  • If the browser refuses to open a link when clicking on a "visit"-button in the "More information"-screen an alert box now informs the player about this and shows the URL in order to type it in manually.
  • If the hardware accelerated rendering mode doesn't work correctly (this probably only might happen with some very old graphic cards) the game can now also be played using software rendering as fallback by adding index.php?render_mode=0 to the URL like this: https://game.swatkats.info/index.php?render_mode=0
  • Furthermore, the build also includes a few tweaks which should increase the performance a little especially on mobile devices.
Please let me know when you notice that I broke something with this new build in case you're playing the game. Thanks! :D
Last edited by Mr. Goodkat on Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Thu May 04, 2017 6:13 pm

Everything seems to be working great. The ability to scroll through the high score table is a nice addition.
1 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Ty-Chou » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 pm

I just played it for the first time! It's a lot of fun! And thank you for giving me a reason to procrastinate instead of working on my projects. LOL

Seriously, I'm so impressed with this, working it all on your own. Also, my computer is super crap and it could still handle this game very easily which I really appreciated.

Is there any time in the future where we'll see some new levels?

PS: It took embarrassingly long for me to figure out you go to the next level after obtaining so many of the yellow thingies. "Wow, why is this level so long? When do I get to the end? And what's the point of these yellow thingies?" Herp de derp.
1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:01 am

Ty-Chou wrote:PS: It took embarrassingly long for me to figure out you go to the next level after obtaining so many of the yellow thingies. "Wow, why is this level so long? When do I get to the end? And what's the point of these yellow thingies?" Herp de derp.
Did you use "How to play" button? It explains everything there, not just the controls. RazEmbarrassed
1 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:I just played it for the first time! It's a lot of fun! And thank you for giving me a reason to procrastinate instead of working on my projects. LOL

Seriously, I'm so impressed with this, working it all on your own. Also, my computer is super crap and it could still handle this game very easily which I really appreciated.
Thanks! RazorHappyCait I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it runs well on your computer.
Ty-Chou wrote:Is there any time in the future where we'll see some new levels?
The game currently has 24 levels with increasing difficulty, but they all use the same set of graphics. It would certainly be possible to extend the game code in order to use multiple settings, but I haven't planned to do so (at least for the time being), sorry.
My intention behind this game was to create something that people can play for a couple of minutes and then hopefully come back from time to time in order to try to achieve a better score.

Furthermore I'm currently spending quite some time with a new game project which uses the same game development framework, but is gonna be way more extensive. But it's way too early to talk about it in detail, because I currently can't promise that I can actually get it into a playable state. But what I can say about it already is that it won't be a SK related game this time... TboneWhistling
Ty-Chou wrote:PS: It took embarrassingly long for me to figure out you go to the next level after obtaining so many of the yellow thingies. "Wow, why is this level so long? When do I get to the end? And what's the point of these yellow thingies?" Herp de derp.
Interesting. Maybe I should add a short message at the beginning that says "Start collecting" or something like that to make this more clear. Thanks for telling me.
Cait wrote:Did you use "How to play" button? It explains everything there, not just the controls. RazEmbarrassed
Yes, Dark Kat is so kind to explain it to the player there. Isn't he a nice fellow? DarkKatIcon
2 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Ty-Chou » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Mr. Goodkat wrote:Interesting. Maybe I should add a short message at the beginning that says "Start collecting" or something like that to make this more clear. Thanks for telling me.
No, no, no, that is no problem on your part. I only read enough of the instructions to know which buttons to push. It was all on me. I was just sharing a silly story of my derpness.
1 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:
Mr. Goodkat wrote:Interesting. Maybe I should add a short message at the beginning that says "Start collecting" or something like that to make this more clear. Thanks for telling me.
No, no, no, that is no problem on your part. I only read enough of the instructions to know which buttons to push. It was all on me. I was just sharing a silly story of my derpness.
Don't worry, I didn't interpret this like "This is bad, change it.". I just think that this might be a little improvement which should be easy to add in case I have to update the game sometime as I'm sure you're not the only person who started playing the game this way. So sharing such "silly stories" can be actually quite helpful. ;)
1 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:27 am

Maintenance Update
I've just uploaded an update for the game.
Those aren't any gameplay related changes.
I only added some changes to the game framework in order to avoid audio problems concerning future versions of Chrome (the browser displayed warnings that there will be some breaking changes soon).

Please let me know if you notice anything unusual.
3 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Germany

Post by Mr. Goodkat » Sat May 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Maintenance Update - Build 20180422

In mid April this year Google surprised me with a change in their autoplay policy for Chrome (see https://developers.google.com/web/updat ... cy-changes). Although I think that the intention behind these changes are quite good (Users won't be annoyed by media files anymore which automatically start to play) there is one change which is quite annoying when you're developing HTML5 games and wasn't pointed out clear enough (at least if you haven't been aware of this specific article like me RazorPainCait).

Many games like Running Kat heavily rely on a browser feature called WebAudio which was initialized automatically in order to play sound. But now the user has to give his or her consent in order to initialize WebAudio (by clicking a button for example). Otherwise you won't hear a thing.

I assume that many HTML5 developers didn't realize the changes concerning WebAudio as Google rolled this change back a few days after release and so I decided to wait to see what would happen next. It seems that Google has added the change again, now that the majority of the web developers are probably aware of this change and so I've uploaded my fix for this issue today.

So, what has been changed?

After all game resources have been loaded, the loading bar will become a button which is indicated by a flashing yellow START text. By clicking the button you actually allow the website to initialize WebAudio. So once you've clicked the button the music will start to play and the menu will be displayed. From this point everything should be working as before.
start-button.jpg
The additional start button
While testing this change I've noticed that the input field for the highscore at the end of the game might not react. I don't think that this has anything to do with this change and probably already happened before. Unfortunately, I have no idea why this can happen, but if it occurs in your case just clear the cache and restart your browser. At least this worked in my case...

Like always, please let me know when you notice any problems.
1 x