The MEGA SWAT Kast - The Death of Comedy

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: The MEGA SWAT Kast - The Death of Comedy

Post by marklungo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:23 pm

NeeKnight wrote:Comedy is hard. Possibly one of the hardest things to do as a writer, as a performer or as any form of creative endeavour. This is clear from this episode and from this joke. But thank you, Mark, for point this out and I will use this and hopefully learn from it SinianThisCait
Nee, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings with my comments. You're a good person, and you're really funny! I felt guilty about criticizing McDowall all those years ago, and I would never want to make anyone feel the same way.

P.S. Sorry I took so long to reply to this. I've been so busy, I didn't see your post until tonight.
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Great Britain

Post by NeeKnight » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:04 am

marklungo wrote: Nee, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings with my comments. You're a good person, and you're really funny! I felt guilty about criticizing McDowall all those years ago, and I would never want to make anyone feel the same way.

P.S. Sorry I took so long to reply to this. I've been so busy, I didn't see your post until tonight.
Oh not at all, Mark. MadkatUpIcon You said nothing that was unwarrented and had a legitimate critic of what was said. You should never feel bad for having an opinion, esspecially if that opinion can open discussion and improvement down the line ^^ For example, I still stand by the joke I made as a funny joke but see retrospectively how I should have delivered that joke differently.

Anyone who enters into an avenue of performance, entertainment or any public forum should allow themselves to be open to criticism. Be you a writer, an artist, an actor or so on, it is the means with which you improve your craft and grow. Even Roddy McDowall shouldn't be immune from it if it comes from a honest place. If you shut yourself off from that, you are just doing yourself and your craft a hugh disservice.
It is also key to develop thick skin (and I am not just saying that because I got my first professional acting job because I was "the most durible child" XD) because by inviting criticism, you aren't always going to hear what you want to hear. You have to take each critique and evaluate it for the worth it has. Sometimes you'll agree and work to do better next time, sometimes you'll disagree and stay true to your own vision of how a piece should be and sometimes all you can do is shrug...
4 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 am

I never said Roddy shouldn't be criticized. All I ever really said was I disagreed that he was a bad choice for the role.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:35 am

Kooshmeister wrote:I never said Roddy shouldn't be criticized. All I ever really said was I disagreed that he was a bad choice for the role.
No one should be immune from criticism, and your opinion on McDowall's performance is certainly defensible. At least there's one thing I think we can all agree on: he deserved a better script.
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Great Britain

Post by NeeKnight » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am

Kooshmeister wrote:I never said Roddy shouldn't be criticized. All I ever really said was I disagreed that he was a bad choice for the role.
... Koosh, no one said you said that. Or even implied you said that. RazConfused

Mark stated how he felt guilty over criticizing Roddy McDowall years ago and was making sure he hadn't made me feel guilty the way he did. I was replying that I was okay with what was said and including the message how he shouldn't feel bad over criticism that comes from an honest place. X3

You think Roddy McDowall was a good choice and guess what? I support you having that opinion when I say "You should never feel bad for having an opinion". Do I think Roddy was miscast? Yes. Will I say you are wrong? Nope ^^ Because it is all opinions CoolIcon
2 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Ty-Chou » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 pm

As usual, I am way behind on getting to these.

Thinking about how Ringtail claims he is such a good comedian and then we see how terrible his jokes are, it makes one wonder if he was ever funny at all. Was thinking he was a top comedian part of the madness? When he thinks Litterbin stole the spot of host on this late night show, I wonder if he was ever in the running in the first place. The show never really explains what exactly his madness is. (Other than the straight jacket suggests he has violent tendencies either towards others or himself.)

I like to think at least part of his madness is him constantly telling these terribly punny jokes and thinking he's absolutely hilarious.

Which is... kinda funny.

P.S. Feral and his megaphone are one of my favorite things from the show as a whole. The Madkat episode is where this sketch came from.
Attachments
megaphone.jpg
3 x