Just to brighten up your day

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Just to brighten up your day

Post by Rusakov » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Some of you are probably feeling yuck because of all the Covid-19 crud.

Have some Weird-Al to brighten up your day!

https://youtu.be/8Gv0H-vPoDc
2 x

Leon Mane
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: Just to brighten up your day

Post by Leon Mane » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 pm

I forgot about that song. Weird Al is pretty clever, but that song must have taken a long time to plan out. Finding the right words with the right amount of syllables to fit the rhythm of a pre-established song.
1 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:56 pm

Leon Mane wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 pm
I forgot about that song. Weird Al is pretty clever, but that song must have taken a long time to plan out. Finding the right words with the right amount of syllables to fit the rhythm of a pre-established song.
Yeah. Interestingly, though (via Wikipedia): "Yankovic has considered himself a "grammar nerd," having previously posted photos and video clips to social media sites pointing out grammatical errors in everyday signs, and considered "Word Crimes" his opportunity to put this into song form."

So that probably helped. :P

I applaud the animators for the music video too. Those animations must have been hard! :shock:
1 x

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Post by Dr. Ascara » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 am

I have appreciated this song a lot (that was a mistake I've initially missed the topic). It takes up the subject I am very touchy with.
Nowadays people don't take seriously the fact that the way they use the language affects their way of thinking. Memes and jokes on the internet are a good entertaining thing, but they train to consider bad spelling as common. Such grief.
I cannot say a lot about English because even for the clear writing here I have to use the dictionary and am sometimes blind about choosing an equivalent. But in French and my native languages, I am so inclined towards the high style everything it is admissible! Building grammatically correct phrases using fixed expressions and other instruments of embellishing the speech is a wonderful mind game (preserving the brain from degradation).
In the end, I would like to notice I am so happy that modern English uses so many French words, though that language interferes my speaking. For example I use very often the Present Perfect because it is similar with Passé Composé RazorHappyCait
1 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:51 am

ascara wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 am
snip
Well, English did start as a combination of Anglo Saxon languages and Norman-era French. For example: in cuisine we say in English "we're going to make pork for dinner" ("pork" being a Norman French word) instead of "we're going to make pig for dinner".

Interestingly, the point you brought up about language affecting the way people think is similar to the idea of linguistic relativity. Although it's an interesting idea, it's probably wrong.

That being said, not practicing proper language can make you forget how to do so given enough time! :P
1 x

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Post by Dr. Ascara » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Rusakov wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:51 am
For example: in cuisine we say in English "we're going to make pork for dinner" ("pork" being a Norman French word) instead of "we're going to make pig for dinner".
We had a hilarious example about English-French interaction: "My tailor is rich" vs "Mon tailleur est riche" (film "Le gendarme à New York"). Or there were also "My flowers are beautiful" vs "Mes fleurs sont belles" (and "beauty" comes from "beauté").
Today English settles old scores with international lexicon: internet, parking and so on.
Rusakov wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:51 am
Interestingly, the point you brought up about language affecting the way people think is similar to the idea of linguistic relativity. Although it's an interesting idea, it's probably wrong.
I am so happy that my linguistics study is over (I finished the linguistic university once). :D Yes, I remind this theory, it seems to have some logic but I agree with you the language doesn't restrict our consciousness so drastically.
1 x

Leon Mane
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Leon Mane » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:33 am

I'm something of an amateur writer (fanfiction mostly) and while my grammar may not be precisely in line what is taught in schools, I do try to keep things simple enough to get the point across. It doesn't always work, but while I'm not a grammatical enforcer, I at least hold myself to a (frequently evolving) standard.

I've loved reading since I was still in the single digit age range, and it helped me become the (amateur) writer I am today.
1 x