How the city withstood before the duo appeared?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

How the city withstood before the duo appeared?

Post by Dr. Ascara » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:18 pm

I still cannot resolve a question. How the Megakat city fought against villains before the forming of the SWAT Kats team? Though the only villain committing crimes before this starting point was Dark Kat, he seemed to be strong and dangerous enough to conquer it singly. Hard Drive committed only economical damage. All other rivals (perhaps except Morbulus) were either episodic or entered the scene after T-Bone and Razor did.
Here I propose a little topic for speculations. In your opinion if it was a concourse of circumstances? Luckiness? Or the Enforcers were so omnipotent before having lost its two best soldiers? TboneLaughCait RazorHappyCait
Because we know very little about the world we don't have any severe restrictions for hypotheses.
Thank you for your answers.
0 x

Cody Furlong
Resident
United States of America

Re: How the city withstood before the duo appeared?

Post by Cody Furlong » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 am

My guess is that indeed the majority of the villains either just did not exist yet, or were only lurking in the background plotting. Also the Enforcers were much stronger before the show started as you suggested. But not just from having Chane and Jake on the force.

You must also take into account all the equipment that gets destroyed through the series, as well as all the other Enforcers that are killed. Both of which would weaken the remainder. Then you have the biggest problem, being the Mayor's mismanagement. His constant cutting of vital funds, or restricting the Enforcers in other ways. In short the Enforcers are in a state of constant weakening from the beginning of the show.
2 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:52 am

As Cody said, it seems like the SWAT Kats came along at precisely the right time; their appearance seems to coincide with the debut of almost all the super-criminals plaguing the city, with the exception of Dark Kat. So it seems like prior to the show, the Enforcers were indeed more than enough to protect Megakat City, and are still capable of managing large scale threats even after that - people tend to forget they brought down the Megasaurus rex all by themselves with nothing but gas grenades. It's also worth noting that Dark Kat was hellbent on destroying Enforcer Headquarters when he first appeared, calling it "the justice machine that protects Megakat City." If Dark Kat considered the Enforcers enough of a threat that blowing up their new headquarters was a top priority for him, one he took an awful risk to handle personally, then the answer is: the Enforcers used to be enough, but aren't anymore.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Post by Dr. Ascara » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:55 am

Thank you a lot for your comprehensive answer.
Cody Furlong wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 am
Also the Enforcers were much stronger before the show started as you suggested. But not just from having Chane and Jake on the force.
This statement was only a joke :D
Cody Furlong wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 am
Then you have the biggest problem, being the Mayor's mismanagement. His constant cutting of vital funds, or restricting the Enforcers in other ways.
Oh.. I didn't think about this. I almost despise Manx now. So truthful. Because of his mistakes the city did suffer much more.
Last edited by Dr. Ascara on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm

See Destructive Nature, where Manx holds Feral back and prevents him from doing his job:

FeralBullhornIcon "Now you listen to me, Mayor! Dr. Viper has turned your pet skyscraper into a living weed patch, and--"
scaredmanxicon "No, you listen to me, Feral! The city has a billion dollars sunk in that tower! Use weed killer if you have to, but get that wacko Viper out of there now! And don’t damage the building doing it!"
FeralBullhornIcon "You don't understand!"
scaredmanxicon "Don't do it, Feral! My friends here are about to sign a ten year lease!"

I think that ship has sailed, Your Honor. Even if they retook the building intact, the interior damage is sufficient that Young would've likely written it off anyway and not signed the lease.

I wish I could say Manx and his stupidity and cowardice were a recent thorn in the Enforcers' side, but remember, he's on his tenth term as of season one...
Last edited by Kooshmeister on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Post by Dr. Ascara » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Thank you for the answer with proper references.
Kooshmeister wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:52 am
It's also worth noting that Dark Kat was hellbent on destroying Enforcer Headquarters when he first appeared, calling it "the justice machine that protects Megakat City."
I missed this phrase during the watching. It sounds grand.
I regret if I sounded belittling the Enforcers. It is not so. But before I didn't consider seriously its casualties. Feral impresses by the fact he stayed decisive and ruled the organization without any moral lassitude (not sure about this word).
1 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:27 pm

ascara wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 pm
without any moral lassitude (not sure about this word).
"Lassitude" implies disinterest or weariness. "Latitude" might be a closer match to what you are trying to say. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the villains became very destructive only recently (within a decade) in the SWAT Kats universe. Why? Faster technological progress.

In general the progress of technology allows fewer people to do more work (be that labor, or something else).

Let's assume the time between Megawar II and the SWAT Kats' present day is about the same length of time between the start of Allied intervention in World War II (1939) and 1993, which is 54 years. Note that the airplanes of Megawar II are closer in technology to our World War I planes (single-prop wood and canvas biplanes) than our World War II planes (single to multi-prop metal monoplanes).

The time between 1914 (the beginning of our World War I) and 1993 is 79 years. So the SK universe had technological progress about 1.5 times faster than our universe.

BUT WAIT! There are aspects of the SK universe that suggest technology far in advance of our 1993 -or even our 2020- technology (mind uploading, highly advanced genetic engineering/synthetic biology, etc.).

So, some technology is well in advance of what we can do even now. I'll assume that we get most of these capabilities at about 2050. Which means the rate of technological progress in the SK universe is 79 years to our 136 years. Almost twice as fast!

So technology could have developed fast enough that very deadly villainy is actually a quite recent development.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the wall of text/word salad. RazSleep
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:56 pm

And yet they developed it later, considering they were still using biplanes in the 30s and 40s.
0 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:56 pm
And yet they developed it later, considering they were still using biplanes in the 30s and 40s.
That's where the faster tech progress comes in. That's how they caught up and then surpassed us. :P
1 x

Dr. Ascara
Resident
Belarus

Post by Dr. Ascara » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:02 pm

Rusakov wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:27 pm
"Lassitude" implies disinterest or weariness. "Latitude" might be a closer match to what you are trying to say. ;)
Sorry for the wall of text/word salad. RazSleep
I meant "moral weakness", Feral is not coward or sissy. But thanks for analyzing my word selection. Sometimes my dictionnary gives me unconvenient equivalents. TboneSwearCait
And there is no reason to excuse. I get excited every time I read on this forum long detailed well structured posts. I have such pleasure here after modern messaging based on abrupted and defigured phrases.
2 x